The Foretellix V-Suites™ are the most comprehensive V&V packages available today, aggregating extensive industry knowledge gained from working with multiple users, regulation requirements, and from collision databases.
According to users, Foretellix V-Suites™ provide 100x productivity gains compared to scenario libraries using concrete or logical scenarios. The V-Suites™ are implemented in OSC2, which makes the scenarios adjustable to your ODD needs and a great vehicle to ramp up on the much-anticipated standard. Following today’s release announcement, Foretellix is offering V-Suites™ for ADAS functions (L2+, L3), Highway driving (L4), and mining (L2+, L4).
If you wish to understand how such a performance boost is achieved and whether the V-Suites™ can serve your needs, keep reading ?
What are V-Suites™ and what’s new about them?
V-Suites™ are Foretellix’s out-of-the-box reusable V&V packages that we have been developing in close collaboration with our customers since 2019. They include abstract scenarios, coverage metrics, reference maps, checkers, and KPIs that report on functional and performance issues with the SUT. You can adjust built-in tests or easily generate new ones with an intuitive user interface that does not require deep knowledge of OSC2. The exciting news is that we have migrated all the V-Suites™ to the standard OSC2 syntax. Additionally, we have enlarged our portfolio, enriched the provided scenarios, expanded the provided HMI support, and enhanced the V-Suites™ to support many L2 – L4 ADAS & autonomous driving functions. This next evolution of the V-Suites™, combined with the native OSC2 engines of Foretify™, provides a fast path for customers to start reaping the benefits of OSC2 in terms of V&V automation and scaling.
Leveraging the power of OSC2
The ASAM OpenSCENARIO 2.0 Standard is a huge step forward for enabling V&V teams to easily aggregate and share knowledge. It allows defining abstract scenarios that:
- Auto-adjust to user ODD needs
- Auto-adjust to any maps and locations
- Auto-adjust to any test execution platform (e.g. SIL, HIL, proving ground) and its supported capabilities. (For example, when running on the proving ground it is hard to ask for a snow storm.)
- Auto-adjust to work across different stack versions and vehicle dynamics models, which enables sharing across vendors or projects
On top of the technical considerations, both projects and engineers often prefer acquiring the latest and greatest standard languages and flows. Standards facilitate vendor collaboration and enable technology growth. They may also assist in attracting talented members to your team.
How are V-Suites™ different from typical scenario libraries?
As the V-Suites™ are implemented with OSC2, I would need to repeat everything that is new and exciting about the language to fully answer this. Nevertheless, here are a few key points to consider when selecting a V&V package:
- The scale and quality of the generated scenarios – Assume a package with one-million concrete scenarios in someone’s favorite language. That’s a lot, right? Well, with V-Suites™, it is literally a single line of code to automatically generate an endless number of high-quality scenarios. Since V-Suites™ scenarios are implemented in OSC2, they are not proprietary to a specific simulator.
- Projects, ODD, and requirement adjustments – At the recent Automotive Testing Expo in Stuttgart, I came across a manager who inherited a pool of one million concrete scenarios and had the ambitious goal to enable V&V automation for a stack that was targeted to support the Indian market. The first question that came to mind was – “how many of these are driving on India’s roads (including driving on the left)?” The answer was none in this extreme case, but a small subset in many other cases. With V-Suites™ abstract scenarios the predefined scenarios auto-adjust to left-hand-side driving, the traffic laws, and the structure of the roads in India. The steps of adopting any V&V library begin with configuring it to your ODD requirements, maps and road topology, traffic rules, vehicle dynamics, test execution platforms, and more. This is a key benefit of V-Suites™’s abstract scenarios compared to logical or concrete scenarios, where it can be an impractical task to rework the scenarios for specific project needs.
- Built-in checkers and KPIs for Scale – What if just one percent of a million scenarios fail? This is 10,000 scenarios to manually analyze, making the question of practicality valid again. V-Suites™ provide many checkers and KPIs specifically targeted at common ADAS functions like AEB, ACC, L4 Highway Pilot, etc… The checkers can automatically flag issues with your SUT at run-time, thus reducing the time and effort of doing root cause analysis. This can save lots of wasted time trying to manually inspect failures when running a large test suite. The built-in KPIs can be used to easily assess the performance of your SUT.
- Ensuring accomplishment of risk conditions and scenarios – Given that the SUT is autonomous and programmed to avoid risk, can I ensure that individual scenarios met their intent? V-Suites™ leverage Foretify’s adaptive scenario execution capability, which automatically tries to ensure a scenario’s intent is met. This capability can significantly reduce the time and effort required to manually inspect and adjust scenarios so that they meet the intent.
- Ability to objectively measure V&V completeness – Establishing V&V completion goals, using them throughout the V&V and development process, and enabling shifting and focusing resources to untested areas is a must for productivity and thoroughness. V-Suites™ are built to support the Foretellix Coverage Driven Verification (CDV) Methodology, which is the gold standard for ensuring you have tested your SUT enough.
What V-Suites™ are available?
Figure 2 shows a subset of the thoroughly implemented V-Suites™. The OSC2 capabilities for rapid scenario development and easy maintenance allow quick high-quality V-Suites™ growth.
Note that we constantly expand our portfolio, and several other V-Suite libraries are at different levels of readiness. If you are interested to learn if any of these can assist your project, shoot us an email to get more details.
How can I take advantage of OpenSCENARIO 2.0 V-Suites™?
Many customers find the V-Suites™ to be the fastest and easiest way to quickly assess the value of the OSC2. Once the basic Foretify integration with a customer’s SUT is achieved, simple test tables can be used to demonstrate both generic and sophisticated user-defined test suites for generating and running tests at scale.
If you are interested to understand more about our OSC2 V-Suites™ and how they could be leveraged for testing your Autonomous Driving System and ODD, check out our website here or shoot an email to email@example.com.
Subscribe to our newsletter